Sustainability is part of everything we do. We built a print factory on its principles. The design of our building reduces our demand for energy and natural resources making our printing even more efficient.
Sustainable factory, sustainable printing, sustainable future
Working with the environment is top of our list, it’s in everything we do. In fact, we were named as one of Cornwall’s most sustainable businesses winning the “Best Managed Medium Business” category of the Cornwall Sustainability Awards 2018.
We built our print factory to be efficient using sustainable materials and were awarded an ‘Excellent’ BREEAM rating – the world’s leading sustainability assessment for buildings.
- We have one of Cornwall’s largest roof-based solar panel arrays, presenting a carbon-saving of at least 45 tonnes per year.
- Our factory features grass topped roofs
- We harvest rainwater for flushing toilets
- We maximise natural ventilation and daylight, and limit heat loss through insulation
- We measure and manage our waste and use of water and energy
When it comes to printing, we’re constantly working to increase our efficiency and capacity to deliver the highest sustainability standards, shrinking our carbon footprint, cutting energy consumption and reducing waste.
- All the paper we use is recycled or produced from sustainably managed forests. We are FSC accredited (Licence code: FSC-C140438)
- We use effective recycling schemes which are reducing, and attempting to eliminate, print and paper waste in landfill.
- We recycle 100% of our paper waste and 95% of our total waste (we’re working on the rest).
- We make any damaged paper into pads and use scrap paper for printing internal emails and documents.
- We use vegetable based inks, and any waste ink is taken away and used as fuel in furnaces in place of coal, gas or oil or used as a hardening in making concrete.
We’re doing everything we can to be sustainable, focusing on continually improving our environmental performance. This is an ongoing process for us. We’re committed to working with the environment to show that when done responsibly, printing is a clean, green industry which is inherently sustainable.