Stand out from the pack with bespoke, branded, casino-quality playing cardsFind Out More

Can You Speak Print?

Date 18th September 2023
Category FAQs | News | Useful Articles

We know print can sometimes be confusing, so here is your guide to many terms we commonly use as your local carbon-balanced printer.

Can You Speak Print?


BleedBleed – Ink that extends beyond the intended trim area to ensure no blank paper is showing.
Crop Marks
Crop Marks – Lines on paper that define the print area, and where to trim for the final printed size.

Finishing IconFinishing – Processes including cutting, binding, laminating, or folding to complete the final product.
CMYK – Colour model using Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (another word for black) inks for full colour printing.

RGB DiagramRGB – Red, Green Blue – the colour you see on your screen when designing for print. CMYK is used to print it.
Artwork IconArtwork – Simply another word for the design or images to be printed.
Font IconFont – A set of characters with a specific typeface, size and style for text representation.
Crease IconCrease – A fold or ridge formed on paper or card by bending or applying pressure.
Finished Size IconFinished Size – The final size of a printed piece of work after trimming or binding is complete.
Gutter IconGutter – The space between facing pages in a printed or bound material, usually at the spine.
Proofing IconProofing – The Process of reviewing and confirming a version of the print or design before final production.
Perfect Binding
Perfect Binding – A binding method were individual pages are glued to the spine and cover to create a booklet.

GSM Icon

GSM – Grams per Square Metre – Measures paper weight and thickness. The higher the GSM, the thicker the paper.

LaminatingLaminating – The process of sealing paper by applying thin plastic film to paper for protection and durability.

Now you can speak print, do get in touch if we can help at all with your next project.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. More information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.